Gallagher - Hansen
V.F.W. Post 295
111 South Concord Exchange
South St. Paul, MN 55075
Boy! Rumors about what’s happening at 295 are flying around like leaves on a windy fall day. So here are the facts:
1. On July 27, 2018, a man who was originally looking to lease our upstairs kitchen made an offer to buy the building.
2. After determining that the offer was not only fair, but legitimate, and that the prospective buyer had the appropriate financing to make it happen. The Quartermaster and I shared this information with the Post membership at the August 8th Meeting. A motion was made, seconded and approved authorizing the quartermaster and me to continue to talk with the prospective buyer and if he made a formal offer, we would take appropriate action in accordance with section of the National By laws to notify the Department of MN and the membership that we had such an offer.
3. Expecting we would receive a formal letter of intent signed by the Prospective buyer. The Quartermaster and I, in accordance with the National By-laws, did two things:
a. Immediately notified the Department of MN in writing that we had a tentative offer on our building.
b. Notified the membership by mail of a special meeting on August 29, 2018, to discuss the possible sale of our building.
4. At the August 29, 2018 meeting the membership voted by 2/3rds majority to allow the Commander and Quartermaster to enter negotiations to sell our building @ 111 South Concord Exchange in South St. Paul.
5. Consequently, the Quartermaster and I have listed the property for 90 days with Tim Little, a Commercial Real Estate broker with Keller-Williams, who originally brought the prospective buyer to our attention.
6. Tim and the buyer’s realtor were already putting together a propose Purchase Agreement which the Quartermaster, Tim Little, and I reviewed with our attorney (Dave Granis) on Thursday, September 13, 2018. After, Dave added and deleted some things, the Quartermaster and I signed the corrected document on Monday, September 17, 2018 and it was mailed to the prospective buyer on Tuesday September 18, 2018. The buyer responded with a few minor changes which the Quarter master and I agreed to in writing on September 22, 2018
On September 25, 2018, the buyer signed the agreement and gave our realtor an earnest money check. Now, the Bank needs to get some verification before setting the closing date. So, things are really moving fast.
7. In conclusion our next Post Meeting is October 10, and I strongly suggest you be there. As this is not only the best but the one and only place where you will be able to get the latest and most accurate information on what is really going on not only regarding the sale of the building but with the Post in general.
8. BUT, EVEN WITH THAT BEING SAID, THE STORY DOESN’T END THERE:
a. Post 295 is not turning in its charter and as I write this we are putting together plans for a magnificent event to celebrate our 100th Anniversary next year.
b. Our Liquor and Gambling licenses are not part of the sale.
c. We are not leaving SSP. I have already appointed the “Next Step” Committee whose mission is to explore and bring to the floor, short- and long-term solutions for a new Post Home. The members of this committee are: Terry Pieper - an Afghanistan veteran, who will be your District commander in two years; John Kelly - an Afghanistan veteran, who will be your Post Commander in two years; Christine Chambers - an Afghanistan veteran; Ken Johnson a Vietnam veteran and Tim Loney (LTC - US Army - Retired) - an Afghanistan veteran, and a South Saint Paul Businessman.
d. We are not, even in this transition period, giving up on our goal: “To Honor the Dead by Serving the Living”. Even if our Building is sold and unavailable to us we are still working with The Dakota County Historical Society to truly celebrate on Veteran’s Day 2018 the 100th Anniversary of the Signing of the Armistice that Ended WWI. A complete schedule of Day’s events is listed in the “TAKE SPECIAL NOTICE” section of this newsletter. HOWEVER, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE ON THE SCHEDULE IS: The Traditional Toast will take place at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month at the SSP Moose Lodge 1088/Chapter 588 located at 5927 Concord Blvd. East, Inver Grove Heights. MN. Program begins at 10:30.
e. We are just beginning to Plan the Annual kid’s Christmas Party which will tentatively be held on Sunday December 2, 2018 at the Moose Lodge from 1 to 4PM In short: WHAT MAKES 295 SPECIAL IS OUR UNWAIVERING GOAL To: “Honor the Dead by Serving the Living” not bricks and mortar.
1. Color Guard Meeting -- Monday. Oct. 8, 2028, 7PM @ Club this is not only for current members but for anyone interested in joining. Young, old, no matter how limited your availability, if you can march or not
2. Auxiliary & Post Meeting -- Wednesday. Oct.10, 2018 - Auxiliary 6:30pm, Post 7pm @ Club
3. Steak and/or Shrimp Dinner - Friday, October 19, 2018 - 5pm to 7:30pm
4. Veterans Day Toast Sunday November 11, 10:30am to Noon @ SSP Moose Lodge
Taking Pride in 295 - WHERE WE HONOR THEDEAD BY SERVING THE LIVING