Gallagher - Hansen
V.F.W. Post 295
This is late because I had a heart attack while I was in Cheyenne and was hospitalized for 4 days and 3 nights. They corrected the problem by inserting two stints into that artery. However, even after discharge I was not allowed to leave the area until noon on Saturday January 19, 2019 with the restriction that I could not drive and as passenger could ride not more than 5 hours away and was required to take at least ˝ hour break after 2˝ hours. This stretched a normal2-day trip into a 3-day trip.
We still haven’t closed on the building at 111 South Concord Exchange. Here is where we are according to an e-mail I received from our realtor on January 9, 2019.
1. All inspections have been completed.
2. Funds will be escrowed at the time of closing for the roof repairs.
3. According to Vieau Associates (the company who did our soil and vapor tests).
A. All the information they needed to complete the application for approval of the sale has been
submitted to the MN Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) for their approval.
B. Our application is moving through the process at normal speed and we should have it back in
the next 30-to 45 days.
4. Bank funding is in place, again pending letter from PCA.
5. Buyer wants to start some construction projects.
6. Seller (the post) has firmly stated: That upon receipt of the letter from the MPCA a closing date
must be set prior to their approving any construction projects.
7. The Post is so adamant about this that they have asked the buyer to sign an Amendment
Purchase Agreement which states such.
We are awaiting formal approval from the city of Inver Grove Heights. It does appear that we will be running the gambling operation at the SSP Moose Lodge 1088/Chapter 588, located at 5927 Concord Blvd, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076 effective February 1, 2019.
LET ME MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR:
I. We are not transferring our gambling license to the Moose.
II. What we are doing is running gambling at their facility (under our name) and giving them
a % of the profits for rent as prescribed by law.
III. This arrangement will in no way hinder our having gambling at our own facility when we
do secure a new location and reopen our club. In fact, if profitable and practical there is
nothing stopping us from running gambling at both locations simultaneously.
CURRENT LOCATION AND MEETING PLACE:
While we are waiting for things to come together, we are temporarily located at 1401 Thompson Avenue South Saint Paul MN 55075. For February those dates are as follows:
Leadership on Monday February 11, 2019 @ 6:30PM
Auxiliary on Tuesday February 12, 2019 @ 6:30PM
Post on Wednesday February 13, 20198 @ 7PM
295’s VOD winner did take second place at District and will use her prize to help pay her tuition at the University of Northwestern in Roseville, MN where she plans to attend next year.
JANUARY DISTRICT MEETING AND DEPARTMENT MID-WINTER CONFERENCE
I attended the District meeting on January 5, 2019 in Wells, MN and when giving my service Officers Report I pointed 3 things:
1. While Congress may pass a law authoring certain benefits. It then sends that law to a Federal Agency who sets up regulations as to how that law is to be interpreted and administer.
2. Those regulations have the strength of law until superseded by law.
3. In the process, sometimes injustices occur. One such injustice involves the VA Health Care System and Medicare.
At our February Post meeting I will introduce a resolution to correct that injustice. My hope is that it will be approved on our floor, sent onto the District and Department for concurring action, and finally National where if approved it will become part of our National Legislative agenda.
I was not able to attend this year’s Midwinter Conference due to my heart attack.
Larry informs me we need more businesses to advertise in the Echoes. The cost is $60 per year. The Echoes is sent to over 880Households, the majority of which are in SSP, WSP, & IGH. So, if you know someone who has a business, is looking for an inexpensive way to advertise, and wants to show their support for Veterans, they should call Larry at 651-455-5968.
Take Pride in 295- Where we, “HONOR THE DEAD BYSERVING THE LIVING” - Mike